Family-Focused Advocacy & Counsel Responsive & Accessible Representation

Divorce Proceedings: Commencement Of An Action

At Reich & Truax, PLLC, our family law attorneys are here to help guide you through every step of the divorce process with understanding and compassion. From our office in Southport, we provide representation to people throughout Connecticut.

Serving A Summons And Complaint

An action for dissolution of marriage, legal separation or annulment is commenced by serving a summons and complaint. The complaint sets forth the date and place of the parties’ marriage, the birth name of the wife, the name and ages of any minor children or children under the age of 23, an assertion of the duration of residence in Connecticut, a statement as to whether or not the state of Connecticut or any municipality has contributed to the support of either party, and a statement as to the ground upon which the marriage is to be dissolved such as irretrievable breakdown.

The complaint will also, in general terms, request any or all of the following:

  • A dissolution of marriage, legal separation or annulment
  • Child custody
  • Child support
  • Alimony
  • Property division
  • Orders for college expenses
  • An assignment of property to one party
  • Any other relief the court deems appropriate

The summons and complaint must be served by a marshal on the defendant. Typically, service should be done in a fashion so as not to embarrass a party at work or in front of any minor children.

Return Dates

A return date will appear on the summons. This date is usually set three to four weeks after the date the defendant is served. This is the date that the case will be officially recognized to be pending in court. There is a 90-day waiting period from the return date before the court may enter a judgment dissolving the parties’ marriage or for legal separation.

The complaint will also refer to a case management date, which occurs on approximately the 90th day following the return date. For the case management date, the parties must submit to the court a case management agreement which instructs the court as to whether custody is an issue and the date by which the various aspects of discovery will be completed.

Contact Our Lawyers For Help With Your Family Law Issue

We provide comprehensive legal services to people facing a divorce or legal separation. To schedule an initial consultation, call 203-254-9877 or contact us online. We serve clients in Fairfield County and throughout Connecticut.