Family-Focused Advocacy & Counsel Responsive & Accessible Representation

Child Support: Postsecondary And College Expenses

At Reich & Truax, PLLC, our attorneys provide comprehensive family law services. We are knowledgeable in all areas of child support and are able to provide you with information to determine whether postsecondary expenses should be part of the overall plan. From our office in Southport, we represent people throughout Connecticut.

College Tuition Provisions

In a divorce action, a provision may be made with respect to the payment of postsecondary and college educational expenses. If a child is going to college imminently, then an actual order for the payment of that child’s college expenses may be made. However, if college is still years away at the time of the marriage dissolution, the court may reserve jurisdiction to make orders pertaining to the college educational expenses at a future date when the child plans to attend college.

The court is limited to ordering the parties to pay an amount up to in-state room, board and tuition at the University of Connecticut. The parties may privately contract in a separation agreement for payment of college expenses above and beyond in-state room, board and tuition at UCONN.

Contact Our Lawyers To Discuss Support Payment Issues

We are prepared to answer all of the questions you may have concerning college education orders. To schedule a consultation, call 203-254-9877 or contact us online. We serve clients in Fairfield County and throughout Connecticut.