Family-Focused Advocacy & Counsel Responsive & Accessible Representation

Experienced Legal Help With Child Support Matters

When parents are no longer in a relationship, child support payments may be ordered by the court. If you are facing an issue concerning child support, it is important to seek knowledgeable legal advice as soon as possible.

At Reich & Truax, PLLC, our attorneys can help whether you are seeking support or are being asked to pay support. Whether you are going through a divorce or are no longer in a relationship with the other parent of your child, we can help protect your interests. From our offices in Southport, we represent clients throughout Connecticut.

Child Support Guidelines

The state has child support guidelines which take effect in every case involving a minor child. These guidelines are based upon the parties’ combined net incomes, up to a combined net weekly income of $4,000. The amount of child support may be increased above this cap, based on the unique circumstances surrounding your case. Support amounts are also based on the number of children and the parties’ respective shares of combined net income.

The guidelines also allocate for unreimbursed medical expenses for minor children and work-related day care costs. Pure child support payments are nontaxable to the recipient and are not tax deductible to the payer.

How Long Will Child Support Payments Last

In general, child support payments continue until a child reaches age 18 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later, but cannot continue past a child’s 19th birthday. Exceptions are made for children who meet specific statutory criteria, in which case support may continue until the child reaches age 21.

Questions About Child Support Laws? Contact Our Lawyers.

If you are going through a divorce or are no longer in a relationship with your child’s parent, we can help address any child support issues that may arise. To schedule a consultation, call 203-254-9877 or contact us online. We serve clients in Fairfield County and throughout Connecticut.