Family-Focused Advocacy & Counsel Responsive & Accessible Representation

How to challenge a child custody order

On Behalf of | Jul 12, 2020 | Child Custody & Support |

When parents in Connecticut divorce or otherwise end their relationship, a judge will create an initial custody order. In some cases, only one parent will be granted custody of a son or daughter while the other will likely be given visitation rights. However, the noncustodial parent may be able to contest a custody order at any point assuming that there is a valid reason to do so.

For instance, a noncustodial parent might claim that the custodial parent is neglecting or abusing a child. This person may also claim that the other parent is unfit because of substance abuse issues. State courts may also modify custody orders if a custodial parent has been charged with a crime or has been sentenced to jail or prison time. Those who wish to challenge an existing order may use photographs, written statements or any other evidence to help them obtain favorable outcomes in their cases.

A hearing date will be scheduled after the motion has been filed and the filing fee has been received. The custodial parent will need to be served with the motion through certified mail or through a courier. A ruling may be made immediately after the hearing, and modifications to an existing custody order go into effect as soon as they are announced by the judge.

An attorney may be able to assist parents who are seeking changes to a child custody order. This individual may explain the steps that parents can take to show that they are fit to make decisions on a child’s behalf. These steps may include moving to a home in a safer neighborhood or obtaining a full-time job. Legal counsel may also help a noncustodial parent gather evidence proving that a custodial parent is unfit for his or her role.

FindLaw Network