Family-Focused Advocacy & Counsel Responsive & Accessible Representation

Will I receive spousal support after the divorce?

On Behalf of | May 14, 2020 | Firm News |

When you are facing divorce, you know your financial situation will change. If you are the spouse who earns less, or you’ve been a stay-at-home parent raising your young children, you likely are concerned about how you’ll pay the bills after your divorce. Will you receive spousal support on top of child support?

Spousal support factors

If you and your spouse have significant assets, you are more likely to get spousal support. There isn’t a set formula for setting spousal support though. Here are the factors that determine if you’ll receive spousal support (and how much for how long):

  • How long you have been married
  • What your family’s standard of living has been during your marriage
  • How much income your spouse makes
  • What your earning capacity is compared to your spouse’s
  • What your age is and what your spouse’s age is
  • If you have any health issues that limit your earning capacity
  • If you have a young child who still needs to be cared for at home
  • What child support you may receive
  • Why your marriage is ending (if because of your spouse’s adultery or cruelty)

Types of spousal support

Connecticut has three types of spousal support:

  • Temporary
  • Periodic
  • Permanent

Temporary spousal support is awarded so that both spouses can maintain their standard of living during the divorce process. Periodic alimony supports a lower-earning spouse for a set amount of time, to give that spouse time to re-enter the workforce. Permanent spousal support lasts until the one spouse dies or until the spouse receiving it remarries.

Petitioning for spousal support

If you feel you might be entitled to spousal support, you should consult an experienced family law attorney. An attorney can review you and your spouse assets and give you an idea of what type of support you may receive and for how long, helping you prepare for life after your divorce.



FindLaw Network