Family-Focused Advocacy & Counsel Responsive & Accessible Representation

How postsecondary education expenses relate to child support

On Behalf of | Feb 28, 2019 | Child Custody & Support |

It goes without saying that, as a Connecticut parent, you want what is best for your child. At Reich & Truax, PLLC, we know that that includes a postsecondary education well suited to your child’s interests and abilities. As you prepare for divorce proceedings, however, you probably wonder if your child support order will include a provision requiring you to pay for expenses related to your child’s postsecondary education. As is often the case with questions related to divorce, the answer depends on several different factors. 

It is certainly possible for a child support order to include provisions for postsecondary education expenses. However, the law limits the amount that the court can order you to pay. It must not exceed the amount it would require for your child to attend the University of Connecticut, including board and room costs as well as in-state tuition. The law applies regardless of what school your child ultimately decides to attend. If costs for your child to go to a different postsecondary institution exceed those required to attend UCONN, you have the option of working out a plan to defray those costs in a privately contracted separation agreement. 

The timing of the divorce action relative to the child’s postsecondary enrollment also makes a difference. If your child is still quite young, and college is a long way off, the court may choose to defer orders pertaining to postsecondary education expenses until a later date. However, the court may be more likely to make an order related to postsecondary education expenses if your child is older and plans to attend college in the near future. More information about child support and college expenses is available on our website.

FindLaw Network